Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My new favorite sport

Don't even try and tell me that aqua jogging is not a sport. I don't want to hear any of that nonsense, and if you insist on disagreeing with me, I challenge you to an aqua jogging race. I have been aqua jogging almost every day for the last three weeks, so you have no chance in beating me.

For those of you who have never had the privilege of jogging underwater, basically it requires that you float in a pool, pump your arms and legs "pretending" that you are jogging as you move at the slowest pace imaginable. It is heavenly. Weighing nothing in the pool is the best sensation ever- it's like, for 35 minutes, I do not weigh a million pounds and have a heavy rock/7.5 pound baby in my stomach.



Yesterday I stayed longer than my usual time because I could not keep my eyes off the UVA diving team. Diving is so impressive, and in my state, I can't really remember what it was like to flail your body off of a diving board into the water.

The day before yesterday I almost started crying in front of the janitor when I realized that the pool was closed for the UVA swim team practice. She looked confused, called me "honey", and then consoled me by walking me upstairs to get the new pool schedule. I have now rearranged my entire schedule to go to the pool when it is open.

Noel asked me the other night if I am going to love aqua jogging as much after I have the baby. I told him "YES" emphatically and then, when it dawned on me that I was not going to be able to swim for 6 weeks after the baby, I almost started crying. Poor Noel doesn't know what to do with me. Oh yeah, and you better believe that I have already made Noel go aqua jogging with me. He can comment on that experience independently, but I know it was the highlight of his week.

So, if anyone is available in the obscure hours of the morning and evening, grab an aqua jogging belt and meet me at the pool. Just be prepared to watch me attempt to get out of the pool about 5 or 6 times before I am even close to succesful. The lifeguards give me lots of looks, as if they are not sure if I need help getting out of the pool. YES, I need help. I am 9 months pregnant.



Sorry, I am not ready to have my picture taken with an aqua jogging belt. Just pretend that is me and all my aqua jogging buddies.

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh. I love this. thank you for your detailed description. it's given me a good laugh/smile for the day. c'mon baby stringham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration for doing aerobic exercise 2 weeks before your due date. I will be checking in with you in 6 months to see if your exercise helped fortify you against postpartum like my fake research project suggested.... You rule!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha I LOVE this post, Nefret. I love that you are "aqua jogging" and wish I could have joined you while also pregnant :) SO fun and a brilliant idea for pregnancy. Anything in the water is great when you're pregnant. My mom pushed me to get a swim suit and try it out and I had to agree with her afterwards that there is little else so gratifying while pregnant than floating in water.

    I'm glad you included the photo of water joggers - I had no idea you had to wear a belt, or that it was done in more than shallow water. EVEN COOLER! Wow :) Way to go, girl.

    Congrats on being so close to the big day, too!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fully confirm that aqua jogging ROCKS. And I even did it before I was pregnant! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete